[fpc-devel] Fwd: While - Otherwise Statement

wkitty42 at windstream.net wkitty42 at windstream.net
Mon Oct 12 22:53:40 CEST 2015

On 10/12/2015 04:10 PM, Dmitry Boyarintsev wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 3:47 PM, <wkitty42 at windstream.net
> <mailto:wkitty42 at windstream.net>> wrote:
>
>     by checking the value that caused the break ;) deity knows i've done it many
>     times before back in the TP/BP 6&7 days... i did it exactly as described,
>     too... we had to do it that way as there is/was no other way to do it ;)
>

> That's exactly the thing. You didn't have a cross-loop break, that's why you've
> to have some guaranteed values that would allow you to verify if a loop was
> broken or not.

yeah... i implemented my needed logic for that type of scenario... just like any
good programmer can/will/should do...

> If it was broken then you'd set any additional conditions (if needed) to break
> out another loop and pass it above.
>
> In the end you end-up having additional break condition checks in each loop.
> Just by the fact, that a language doesn't provide you with any other means to do
> it less complex.

ok... so instead we'll have the compiler perform my business logic for me? no
thanks... the compiler has enough to do already ;)

> I'd also need to note, that no other language, to my knowledge, have cross-loop
> breaks anyway :)
> Good-old language (Pascal / C /C++) still have goto though... but we won't use
> it, right?

that's right... i think i may have used goto once in 30 years or however long it
has been available in pascal... i started self-taught with basic... goto and
gosub all over the place... tough as hades to follow the code and no apparent
logical layout... i was ecstatic when a friend turned me on to pascal and asm...
i dropped basic like a hot potato[e?] and never looked back... especially never
looking back at goto ;) ;) ;)