[fpc-devel] Fwd: While - Otherwise Statement

Ralf Quint freedos.la at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 20:38:16 CEST 2015

On 10/12/2015 11:33 AM, Sven Barth wrote:

> Am 12.10.2015 20:02 schrieb "Dmitry Boyarintsev"
> <skalogryz.lists at gmail.com <mailto:skalogryz.lists at gmail.com>>:
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 1:54 PM, Ralf Quint <freedos.la at gmail.com
> <mailto:freedos.la at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >>
> >> Sorry, we are programming here in Pascal, not Python. I could give
> a rodent's posterior about what Python implements.
> >>
> >> People need to properly design their software, not just hacking
> away. Then they do not need to come up with whacko stop-gaps to fix
> what could have been done properly in the first place...
> >

> > Well, from fpc-devel list perspective your only hope is that any new
> feature is added via MODESWITCH. Thus any existing unit would be kept
> clean. You would also be able to keep your libraries clean, by not
> allowing using of a certain modeswitches.
>
> Since one point of this discussion is to implement in a way that it
> doesn't break anything, it wouldn't be implemented.behind a modeswitch
> probably.
>
> > However, if you look at the recent (for the past few months)
> discussions, you might spot that the number of requests for new
> features (from recent Delphi and other languages) is growing. Constantly.
>
> True...
>
> > In this particular case it's even worse (actually it's better, from
> fpc-devel POV), since the patch has been provided.
>
> However we did nowhere state that we'd incorporate the feature. I only
> said that I'd definitely look at it to check whether the work in
> principle is good.
>
> > The next step would probably be controlled "break", where a user
> would be able to specify how many nested loops needed to broken from.
>
> That would be more useful than the while-else though :P

Yes, I have seen a lot of those requests and pretty much none of them
made any sense to me. As I already stated, it always seems to me that
someone wants to have something implemented that they have seen in a
different language, which might have a different approach to programming
to begin with or they "think" they need a specific feature to get them
out of a pickle they got themselves into because they are just hacking
away instead of properly designing their programs.
Neither of those case are IMHO valid to mess around with a working
compiler. If someone is so fond of the features that
Python/Haskell/Erland/<your favorite 'Cool-boy' programming language de
jour> provides, then they should use that to solve their programming
issues. They apparently don't understand how to use Pascal...

Ralf

---