[fpc-devel] Access violation in fpmake

Karoly Balogh (Charlie/SGR) charlie at scenergy.dfmk.hu
Sun Nov 15 19:47:23 CET 2015

Hi,

On Sun, 15 Nov 2015, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> Strange, I created a test before committing, and it ran fine. Well. I
> reinstated line 1132. But according to logic, that line should not be
> necessary. Maybe I am not properly seeing a case where it can go wrong.

Wild try/guess just by looking at the code:

If FList^[Index].FString is not nil (which is true after the System.Move()
there), then at the next line at the assignment, there will be an attempt
to reduce the reference count of the string before assigning the new one,
and then it's a very likely case that the reference count of it will be
zero, so the string is freed.

Which means the string at FList^[Index+1] will be invalid, because
System.Move() doesn't do anything with the reference counts, so at that
point FList^[Index] and FList^[Index+1] are eachothers clones, but the
reference count doesn't reflect that.

Therefore that nil (and the pointer cast!) is very much required. The
pointer cast is needed, so the string will be handled as pointer, and only
the value is erased, but the refrence counts are untouched.

Someone please fix me if I'm wrong. :)

Charlie