[fpc-devel] Pascal Standard, and what we can do.

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 23 11:30:15 CEST 2015

Am 23.07.2015 10:35 schrieb "Maciej Izak" <hnb.code at gmail.com>:

>> I simply don't understand why people want to introduce concepts of other
languages.
>> Just use the other language, spare yourself the agony.
>>
>> What confuses me even more: C has been around since as long as pascal.
It does not seem plagued by this need to be "modern".

>> Michael.
>

> If you want the features of pure pascal, you should use $MODE OBJFPC
or TP or FPC, full stop. You can't stop me and others from introducing
Oxygene flavored mode.Or if inside FPC team is will to block changes
related to Oxygene flavored syntax, let me know and I will try to create
fork of FPC compiler.

It will depend on the changes. For example your proposed "strong" and
"weak" changes would he rather mediate (I'm not talking about the syntax
now, but other changes in the compiler and RTL to implement it), so that is
more likely to be accepted then let's say inline variable declarations
which might lead to quite massive changes in the compiler. [Note: I'm not
saying that those /will/ lead to massive changes, I'm just cautioning you
that massive changes will be looked at more sceptically than small ones]

Sidenote/warning should you decide to work on the compiler now that you
have a branch directory: adhere to the coding style used in the compiler
even if you don't like it (I don't either ;) ), because that will
definitely be a reason to refuse your code (you wouldn't be the first).

Regards,
Sven