[fpc-devel] Pascal Standard, and what we can do.

Edmund Grimley Evans edmund.grimley.evans at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 10:48:28 CEST 2015

Just a couple of reactions:

> Declare before use has at least one technical advantage: it allows to
> make much faster compliers. Declare before use allows to compile in
> one pass, while compilers for languages like C need at least 2 passes.

Not really. TCC does a single pass with no intermediate
representation. It leaves a gap in the procedure prologue for the code
that moves the stack pointer and fills it in when it gets to the end
of the function and knows how much space is required for the local
variables and temporaries.

> There have been NO fundamental changes in IT in the last 20 years
> (probably longer).

One could argue that multi-core and concern about security are fairly
fundamental changes. Both have lead to people trying to do
sophisticated static analysis of code whose use of pointers makes that
analysis, in general, rather difficult.

Edmund