[fpc-devel] Pascal Standard, and what we can do.

Maciej Izak hnb.code at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 09:20:33 CEST 2015

> Am 22.07.2015 23:13 schrieb "Maciej Izak" <hnb.code at gmail.com>:
> > Sorry Sven but I do agree with inline variable declarations. You don't
> have exclusive rights to dictate what is main point of Pascal (there is
> also Oxygene, SmartPascal). This is your opinion and this is not ultimate
> truth. There is also community with experienced users and big part of this
> community (especially around Delphi and Oxygene, not around FPC core
> development team :P) needs modern open source Pascal.
>
> This is not merely my opinion.

The same on my side. There is a great opposition. So again : this is not
ultimate truth.

> > Some people love Oxygene, and you can't tell that the Oxygene is not the
> Pascal. Any new construction will be "non pascalish" at first glance.
>
> No, that depends heavily on the specific construction. Mostly whether it
> was obviously just "ripped" from other languages like C# without giving a
> second thought about the way how things should be done in Pascal (for
> example attributes or Delphi's generics) or not (for example tuples in
> Oxygene).

IMO Delphi/Oxygene generics are better for real life development. FPC
specialize keyword is nightmare and not intuitive construction. Generics
should be short in usage. They exist for clear and reusable constructions.
I need to cite you: "Prefixed modifiers are the /worst/ you can do for
Pascal.". By introducing "specialize" keyword, you deny yourself.

So when some crap construction is introduced by FPC team, all is ok, but
any proposed solution that is clear/clever, it becomes /non pascalish/,
/not main point of Pascal/ and /worst/ thing ever.

Ripping smart and productive constructions is good thing. They don't need
to be pascalish as hell.

best regards
Maciej Izak