[fpc-devel] New FPC language/dialect MODE, Generics.Collections and new branch

Paul van Helden paul at planetgis.co.za
Fri Jul 17 17:44:18 CEST 2015

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 4:09 PM, silvioprog <silvioprog at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know if a new dialect would be widely accepted by all developers
> (specially veteran pascal programmers), but if it could become things more
> practical and more productive, I would be in favor of just "{$ mode
> ObjPas}". =)

Veteran Pascal programmer here...

I haven't really started using it yet, but I read through the whole Oxygene
documentation the other day. (Didn't take long ;-) )

The Oxygene dialect is absolutely beautiful in my opinion. Lots of things
in there that I've been wanting for decades and many stupid things dropped
completely. Silly example: var declarations when you need them like C.
Practical example: parallel programming built into the language as opposed
to Delphi XE7/8's really ugly solutions with their "parallel library". (I
can go on with examples with the OP's permission).

I agree with the OP that the Delphi language had become uglier and uglier.
I want a programming language that looks good when I write it. This is why
I am still using Object Pascal and not Java or C#. If FPC's only goal is
Delphi compatibility, then perhaps I won't be on this list anymore some
years from now.

The world is looking for a new language. That is why we recently got
Google's Go and Apple's Swift. I believe a modern and clean dialect of
Object Pascal has a "leg-up" on both of these.

Now, this is related but OT: CPU-native compilation is becoming outdated
just like Assembly programming did. I always used to _hate_ .NET and Java,
but using a platform's own stack must surely be the future. Example: Delphi
XE8 cannot produce a binary for Android on Intel Atom. With Java you would
never have encountered this problem. (There are a lot of tablets currently
being produced with Atom processors).

So will FPC "embrace the future"? Or is the project only geared toward
"veteran pascal programmers" that don't share my vision?

Best regards,

Paul van Helden.