[fpc-devel] Array of char

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Wed Feb 25 18:40:58 CET 2015

On 25/02/15 18:14, thaddy at thaddy.com wrote:
> No, it's about the K&R compatibility.
> That's all, nothing more, nothing less.
> It has always been there for an array of char (old c style, now
> ansichar) ) in Delphi.

A regular array of char can also be converted into a string in FPC.
That's not a "raw pointer typecast" though, but an actual conversion
whereby a new string "instance" is created based on the contents of the
array.

Maybe we have to do that too for dynamic arrays. Can you print the value
of the array pointer and the typecasted string pointer? If they are
different, then that's something else and we indeed probably also have
to insert a type conversion.

Jonas