[fpc-devel] Embedded Strings on nRF51-DK

Jeppe Johansen jeppe at j-software.dk
Thu Apr 16 20:29:40 CEST 2015

On 04/16/2015 12:49 PM, Paul Michell wrote:
> I assume this is because string handling support is not included in the
> embedded RTL generated with the compiler, or that I am not linking the right
> object files if I need to do this by hand?  What would be the best way to
> enable string handling? Even short string handling would make FPC far more
> preferable to C for me for embedded work.
You would make it a whole lot easier for yourself if you just used the
Embedded target and added an actual controller type for that specific
microcontroller. Then you wouldn't need to play around with linker
scripts and manually including and trimming RTL files.

Adding the controller type is about 5-10 lines of code. Then the RTL
unit can be a stub for now which basically just initializes .data and .bss.

If you have the name of the controller I can add it?