[fpc-devel] Embedded Strings on nRF51-DK

Paul Michell Paul at michellcomputing.co.uk
Thu Apr 16 17:50:27 CEST 2015

On Thursday 16 Apr 2015 17:18:21 Sven Barth wrote:
> How about the unit UARTPutString is defined in? From the missing symbols
> you quoted earlier the compiler somewhere thinks that it needs to use an
> AnsiString and thus uses the corresponding functions which the linker the
> complains about.

Yes that helped; LongStrings were ON in the UART module.  When I  changed that
to OFF, the error report changed to:

Main.pas:(.text.n_main_$$_main$$longint+0xa): undefined reference to
`fpc_shortstr_to_shortstr'

Which suggested to me I needed to link the object containing
fpc_shortstr_to_shortstr explicitly as I am using the gcc make file.
After a bit for searching I found the export in system.o which had been
generated by the embedded compiler.  Adding this to the make file resolved the
the remaining error.

Sven, thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

Kind regards,

Paul