[fpc-devel] "Signals"

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Fri Sep 26 09:33:03 CEST 2014

Yesterday, I had a discussion with a colleague about programming languages.

He said that he did not like Object-Pascal / fpc because it lacks the
concept of "signals" he finds in other languages / libraries. (He is not
an expert but discusses on base of rumors he collected.)

With "signals" he meant a kind of multi-target events.

He described that multiple parts (units) of a program (or even units
within a set of sunning programs) can "subscribe" to a signal (or
several of them), and whenever anyone "rises" a signal all subscribers
get notified and can react.

Seemingly the execution line in such a "unit" might be as well the main
thread or a worker-thread (or even another task/program) and the event
handler can be defined to work on this thread (he did not elaborate if
always or optionally a newly created thread can be used).

Unfortunately I was not able to come up with a similarly powerful
concept available in fpc.

Any suggestions ?

-Michael