[fpc-devel] Suggestion: reference counted objects

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 22 14:42:21 CEST 2014

Am 22.09.2014 14:30 schrieb "Hans-Peter Diettrich" <DrDiettrich1 at aol.com>:

> Sven Barth schrieb:
>
>> Am 22.09.2014 09:47 schrieb "Michael Schnell" <mschnell at lumino.de
>

>>  > Why not use "interface" to add ref-counting to an object ? This seems
to work nicely even though the name "interface" in not "speaking" on that
behalf.

>> Because you'll need to declare an interface for each class you want to
have reference counted so that you can access its methods, properties, etc.

> This overhead could be eliminated by another syntax extension, like
>   TMyARCclass = interface(TObject)
> where the Compiler could allow for implementations of the declared
methods just as for
>   TMyARCclass = class(TObject)
> bridging the gap between traditional (strictly declarative) interfaces
and classes (including implementations), with or without ARC.

I don't think this would be a good idea. Besides confusing newcomers there
also the problem when to stop when generating an interface. Only the class
declared? Also its perent classes? No, better make classes themselves
reference counted and be done with it.

Regards,
Sven