[fpc-devel] MIPS big-endian program starts but does nothing

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 9 11:20:56 CEST 2014

Am 09.09.2014 10:30 schrieb "Mark Morgan Lloyd" <
markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk>:

> Sven Barth wrote:
>>
>> On 08.09.2014 22:54, Michael Ring wrote:
>>>
>>> This smells like a problem I had on pic32. In my case the pic32 chips do
>>> not have a floating point unit and the processor creates an illegal
>>> instruction (or something similar) exception.
>>>
>>> I solved this for me by patching out the call to the hardware
>>> coprocessor when softfpu is selected.
>>

>> Which should be the correct approach for softfpu anyway. Afterall the
premise of softfpu is that there is no hardware FPU to use and thus
corresponding CPU instructions are useless (or as it seems in this case
lead to nothing).

> I was wondering whether a completely empty program would be a better test
than a "Hello, World!". Could a completely empty program be recognised by
the compiler etc. as a special case and built with only minimal RTL
initialisation, specifically as a test that a program will load and
terminate in good order i.e. that FPC and the OS are compatible? Or is
there a set of portable options that will already do this, which could be
documented prominently?

No strange automatisms please. If one wants a minimal RTL initialization
then one should explicitly disable code in the System unit and rebuild.
Period.

Regards,
Sven