[fpc-devel] Small virtual machine to cross compile FPC

Paul Breneman Paul2006 at BrenemanLabs.com
Fri Oct 31 15:30:19 CET 2014

On 10/27/2014 06:09 PM, Paul Breneman wrote:
> I've spent a bit of time during the past 7 years trying to figure out
> how to simplify things by avoiding cross-compiling.  This page has many
> of the details:
>    http://turbocontrol.com/monitor.htm
>
> I think there is a way to simplify cross-compiling.  Levinux is a small
> (~20 MB) QEMU download for x86 PCs (Windows, OS X, Linux) that provides
> a small Tiny Core Linux VM.  I'd like to see something similar but with
> all the files and tools needed to pull the latest source code and
> cross-compile FPC (also with Debian instead of Tiny Core?).
>    http://mikelev.in/ux/
>
> It seems to me that such a small VM should allow a nice standard method
> that will make it easy to test and see things work.
>
> I look forward to your thoughts and comments!

I'm not suggesting a single VM for multiple uses.

How hard would it be to make a small VM (~100 MB with Debian?)  that
will run on a x86 PC and download FPC and Lazarus source (trunk) and
configure Lazarus for Android development?

I think having a small VM (that doesn't depend on anything on the user's
PC) that can easily demonstrate things would be very nice.