[fpc-devel] Proof of Concept ARC implementation

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Thu Oct 30 04:16:45 CET 2014

Sven Barth schrieb:
> On 28.10.2014 10:19, Michael Schnell wrote:
>> On 10/27/2014 07:59 PM, Sven Barth wrote:
>>>
>>> - in code that does not use ARC ("modeswitch arc off" - the default;
>>> or maybe better a local directive) all instance variables are
>>> considered "weak"
>>>
>> While I do have a vision what "weak" means here, can you give an exact
>> description ?
>
> - no change in reference count when assigning a refcounted object
> variable to it

> - no change in reference count when assigning it to a refcounted object
> variable
I suspect that this can cause premature destruction of the object, when
either
- another value is assigned to the refcounted object variable
- all other (counted) references to the object disappear

But I don't have a solution for these problems, as long as the compiler
inlines the refcounting code at compile time.

DoDi