[fpc-devel] Proof of Concept ARC implementation

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 29 13:58:22 CET 2014

On 28.10.2014 10:19, Michael Schnell wrote:
> On 10/27/2014 07:59 PM, Sven Barth wrote:
>>
>> - in code that does not use ARC ("modeswitch arc off" - the default;
>> or maybe better a local directive) all instance variables are
>> considered "weak"
>>
> While I do have a vision what "weak" means here, can you give an exact
> description ?

- no change in reference count when assigning a refcounted object
variable to it
- no change in reference count when assigning it to a refcounted object
variable
- no change in reference conut when assigning between "weak" variables

Delphi introduced weak variable to break up cycling, I implemented them
similary in my branch (not using the attribute syntax though) and in
Florian's suggestions all object instance variables in legacy code would
be "weak" for backwards compatibility.

Regards,
Sven