[fpc-devel] Small virtual machine to cross compile FPC

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Tue Oct 28 10:22:56 CET 2014

Paul Breneman schrieb:
> I've spent a bit of time during the past 7 years trying to figure out
> how to simplify things by avoiding cross-compiling.  This page has many
> of the details:
>   http://turbocontrol.com/monitor.htm
>
> I think there is a way to simplify cross-compiling.  Levinux is a small
> (~20 MB) QEMU download for x86 PCs (Windows, OS X, Linux) that provides
> a small Tiny Core Linux VM.  I'd like to see something similar but with
> all the files and tools needed to pull the latest source code and
> cross-compile FPC (also with Debian instead of Tiny Core?).
>   http://mikelev.in/ux/
>
> It seems to me that such a small VM should allow a nice standard method
> that will make it easy to test and see things work.
>
> I look forward to your thoughts and comments!

I wonder why you need or use cross-compilation at all?

The biggest part of an cross compiler are the target specific libraries
and tools, which allow to create executables for use on a specific
target. IMO it will be easier to create a dedicated VM for every target,
and install FPC there, instead of adding cross-compilation features for
many targets to whatever machine. Mobile devices often require their own
emulator, or a physical device, for program development, a single VM is
of little use herefore. IMO.

DoDi