[fpc-devel] Proof of Concept ARC implementation

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Mon Oct 27 21:25:19 CET 2014

Sven Barth schrieb:

> A semicolon has the problem that you need to distinguish between it
> being a modifier and a normal following identifier as not every keyword
> is a keyword in every context (like for example "read" and "write" for
> properties).

In this discussion I almost miss the elementary distinction between
keywords (reserved words) and directives. Unlike keywords, directives
are context sensitive and can be used as identifiers in all other
places. That's why directives should *follow* identifiers, never precede
them.

The semicolon usage is not well designed in Delphi, additional
(intermediate) semicolons are not required and should be banned. Then
the parser can continue to search for directives until the end of an
applicable construct (declaration...) is found, which may be a semicolon
or something else (comma, parenthesis...), depending on the construct
syntax.

DoDi