[fpc-devel] Proof of Concept ARC implementation

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 27 11:10:14 CET 2014

On 27.10.2014 11:12, Nikolai Zhubr wrote:
> Hello Sven!
>
> 25.10.2014 0:23, Sven Barth:
>> Hello together!
>>
>> I've now finished my Proof of Concept ARC implementation which is based
>> on the RFC I published a few weeks back:
> [...]
>
> Could you please elaborate a bit on what will happen to cyclic
> references? Is there autodetection in place already? And then, will it
> be usable for managing of e.g. 100M-long 2-way linked list?

Cycles need to be manually handled currently by declaring some
participants of the cycle as "weak".
Another possiblity would be DoDi's suggestion to implement a "finalizer"
(e.g. Delphi's DisposeOf) which would force the instance to destroy
itself, though that would come with its own set of problems...
A third possiblity would be to implement a cycle detector in the
decrement helper, but I haven't come around that for now as I wanted to
get a first rough implementation out to you all ;)

Yours,
Sven