[fpc-devel] Building 2.7.1 on current Raspbian fails

Paul Breneman Paul2006 at BrenemanLabs.com
Thu Oct 23 17:04:28 CEST 2014

On 10/23/2014 08:41 AM, Joost van der Sluis wrote:

>>> Not for ARMV6 EABIHF
>>
>> That's why I said you have to cross-compile. E.g.:
>> * download FPC 2.6.4 of Linux/i386
>
> And for those who are wondering why Jonas is making such a big point out
> of this: http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=26930 (Just a bug report
> from today)
>
> We get this kind of bugs, questions and comments all the time. All from
> people who try to build trunk-with-trunk, while they do not know what
> they are doing.
>
> That must stop. So, please, please, *never* say you can/have to build
> fpc-trunk with fpc-trunk. (Unless it's the same revision)
>
> Joost.

This thread has been *very* educational so thanks to all who
participated.  I've spent a bit of time during the past 7 years trying
to figure out how to simplify things by avoiding cross-compiling.

I'll start another thread about this but I think there is a way to
simplify cross-compiling.  Levinux is a small Qemu download for x86 PC
(Windows, OS X, Linux) that provides a small Linux VM.  I'd like to see
something similar but with Debian and all the files and tools needed to
cross-compile FPC.

Please hold your comments until there is a new thread (feel free to
start that).  Thanks!

http://mikelev.in/ux/
http://www.turbocontrol.com/devoptions.htm