[fpc-devel] Building 2.7.1 on current Raspbian fails

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Thu Oct 23 11:49:40 CEST 2014

On 23/10/14 11:28, Thaddy de Koning wrote:

>> The starting compiler is any official FPC 2.6.4 compiler that can be
>> downloaded from our website. With any of those compilers, you can build
>> both cross and native trunk compiler for any of the targets supported
>> only by trunk. That's how all targets are bootstrapped.
>>
> Not for ARMV6 EABIHF

That's why I said you have to cross-compile. E.g.:
* download FPC 2.6.4 of Linux/i386
* install FPC 2.6.4 for Linux/i386
* install a buildroot for ARM EABI (alternatively: install
cross-binutils and copy /lib and /usr/lib from the target system to a
folder your local machine)
* download the FPC trunk sources
* in the FPC trunk directory, do something like
 make CPU_TARGET=arm OS_TARGET=linux BINUTILSPREFIX=arm-linux-gnueabi-
OPT="-dFPC_ARMHF" CROSSOPT="-Cparmv6m -XR/path/to/crosssysroot/ <other
options you need>" all

You may get errors with the above due to missing library search paths
(like mentioned earlier in the thread), but no more than when building
natively.

Again: this is equivalent to the procedure as the one you have to follow
to get an AIX compiler or a compiler for any other target only supported
by trunk.

There are no bootstrap compilers built from secret or specially patched
sources, as you seem to suggest in your other reply. Well, the
Debian/Raspbian 2.6.4 *native* EABIHF compiler is built from specially
patched sources, but those patches are available in the corresponding
Debian source package.

Jonas