[fpc-devel] Building 2.7.1 on current Raspbian fails

peter green plugwash at p10link.net
Tue Oct 21 20:37:59 CEST 2014

Paul Michell wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 Oct 2014 13:45:25 John Lee wrote:
>
>> Don't know why you have this problem with wheezy, but can confirm I'm
>> running rpi jessie, and the 'sudo' sequence above works for me ok ie does
>> 70Mbyte download & installs fpc with no errors. Haven't really tested it,
>> but help says it is 2.6.2 -8 rpil+b2 2014/7/21 for arm.
>>
>> john
>>

> I have just done a dist-upgrade and tried again and as you say, I now
> have an installed 2.6.2.
Raspbian jessie should have 2.6.4 soon (it's already in raspbian
jessie-staging......).

Raspbian wheezy will be staying with 2.6.0
> So it would seem FPC is currently broken on
> stable Raspbian which is a pity.

It's fine on plain raspbian, unfortunately it seems that the raspberry
pi foundation are shipping a newer version of binutils which conflicts
with the fpc packaging from wheezy.

Since the breakage is not related to plain raspbian I won't be putting a
fix for this in the main raspbian repository but I intend to set up a
repository for fixes to raspberry pi foundation screwups soon and i'll
post a url for that when it's ready.