[fpc-devel] Trying to understand the wiki-Page "FPC Unicode support"

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Thu Nov 27 11:15:31 CET 2014

On 26/11/14 23:41, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> In this case the implementation is "compiler specific", somewhat
> different from "undefined" (in a RawByteString):
> "CP_NONE: this value indicates that no code page information has been
> associated with the string data. The result of any explicit or implicit
> operation that converts this data to another code page is undefined."
>
> IMO the result is well defined: it's the string with the encoding of
> that "other" codepage.

Unless you actually tested this on all platforms and noted that is the
case, you cannot state this. And if you would actually test it, you
would discover that it is wrong
(http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=22501#c61238 ).

As mentioned in a previous discussion: don't use "IMO" ("in my opinion")
when talking about testable facts. A testable fact is either true or
false, opinions do not enter the picture.

> An "undefined" result, as I understand it, would
> mean "the result can be anything, unrelated to the function input".

Which is 100% correct.

> IMO a better wording should be found, that does not cause the current
> obvious confusion of some readers.

The confusion only occurs for readers that do not believe what is written.

Jonas