[fpc-devel] DragonFly BSD x86-64 support --- patch sets ready for commit to trunk

John Marino fpc-devel at marino.st
Tue Nov 25 14:26:12 CET 2014

On 11/25/2014 14:03, Jonas Maebe wrote:

> On 25 Nov 2014, at 13:52, John Marino wrote:
>
>> I see a lot of activity in the trunk thus I'm worried about bitrot (and
>> not making the 2.8.0 release) so that's what is concerning me.
>
> Committing large patches right before forking a stable branch is
> generally not done in any case (it's kind of a contraction in terms). At
> first sight there is nothing in your patches that can affect existing
> targets though, so it should be ok. Maybe remove constants that you
> changed to octal, just to avoid any accidental bug creeping in that way.

I understand that POV.
However, at the very least, committing rtl/dragonfly and fpcmake changes
and regenerating makefiles would cut the external patches necessary for
dragonfly down tremendously (e.g ~500 kb => < 5kb).

I think the octal part is low risk (just a calculator is needed to
verify, right?) but I won't object if the committer wants to omit that
hunk for the reason stated above.

I think that hunk is the only code change that would affect other (BSD)
targets, everything else was preprocessor stuff IIRC.

John