[fpc-devel] UTF8 RTL

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Mon Nov 24 10:17:24 CET 2014

On 11/23/2014 05:28 PM, Marco van de Voort wrote:
> I meant in the way Mattias proposed, continueing making the default
> "string" type utf8 on Windows.
As with Windows, the OS requires API access with UTF-16 encoded strings
this would force lots of auto-conversions, not only in the RTL but with
any GUI Library, as well.

Same would be true for making the default "string" type utf16 (or
whatever) on Linux.

OTOH using different default "string" types on different platforms auks
for severe compatibility problems when trying to do portable programs.

Catch 22 :-( .

(I myself vote for killing the type "String" completely and allow/force
the user to do a Type definition for "String" himself that is used in
his code, e.g. in a central unit.)

-Michael