[fpc-devel] UTF8 RTL

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sun Nov 23 18:04:01 CET 2014

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> In our previous episode, Michael Van Canneyt said:
>>> To make things clear:
>>> I meant in the way Mattias proposed, continueing making the default
>>> "string" type utf8 on Windows. Utf8string is fine, but limited.
>>>
>>> That basically perpetuates the current hack, just slightly more elegant.
>>
>> I don't know about that.
>>
>> It is a perfectly valid solution to choose UTF-8 as the unicode encoding
>> of choice.
>
> So now we support changing defaultsystemcodepage formally by endusers? I was
> not made aware of that.

Whether or not to change defaultsystemcodepage is entirely irrelevant to the
discussion: the fact that now lazarus *can* use a real UTF8String type.

One does not necessarily imply the other.

How they choose to use this UTF8 type (i.e. how to set the various variables
controlling the behaviour of the RTL), is IMHO a second design decision, which
comes AFTER the decision to use UTF8..

But anyway, it's not my intention to argue about this. There is progress, that is what matters.

Michael.