[fpc-devel] Building of FPC trunk broken on Darwin

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Sun Nov 23 17:41:55 CET 2014

On 23/11/14 17:21, Florian Klaempfl wrote:
> Am 23.11.2014 16:50, schrieb Jonas Maebe:
>> When reporting problems, always mention all steps that you took and
>> extra parameters you specified. In this case, the problem only occurs if
>> you use a variant of the -g parameter (which I only know because someone
>> else reported it before): http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=27051
>
> What about a OVERRIDECOMPARECHECK parameter for the makefiles?

Definitely not. I think the only solution at that level would be to
compare the generated object files rather than the entire binaries (like
gcc does), but FPC's build system does not easily lend itself to that.

Another solution would be to not support building the compiler with the
RTL of the previous release, or to introduce a policy that the compiler
itself must not depend on RTL features introduced since the last release
(although this is hard to enforce/test automatically, since make cycle
always uses the new RTL).

Jonas