[fpc-devel] UTF8 RTL

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sun Nov 23 16:20:19 CET 2014

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 14:26:08 +0100
Jonas Maebe <jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be> wrote:

> On 18/11/14 19:51, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> > On Tue, 18 Nov 2014 18:17:25 +0100
> > That's what I thought too a week ago.
> > FPC 2.7 made an old dream come true. :)
>
> Nevertheless, please stop calling it the UTF-8 RTL.
> It will give people the wrong impression, because there is no and may well never be an UTF-8
> RTL. It is no way whatsoever specific to UTF-8, nor will it
> automagically work correctly with UTF-8 encoded data in all scenarios
> (e.g. when DefaultSystemCodePage<>CP_UTF8, or when the file system API
> doesn't support all characters that can be encoded using UTF-8, ...) or
> on all platforms (some platforms don't even support multiple code pages).

Hmm, maybe you have a point there.
It is similar to normal RTL and RTL with CurrencyString:='Euro'.
When I say "Euro RTL" it does not work correctly in all
scenarios, but I'm sure some people think it does.

I doubt that I can come up with a name, that everyone understands
correct, but I have to call it something.

What about "RTL with UTF8 as default"?

Mattias