[fpc-devel] "fpc -h" and "fpc -i"

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 13:03:59 CET 2014

On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 4:51 PM, Tomas Hajny <XHajT03 at hajny.biz> wrote:
> I've finished implementation of solution for easier parsing of
> supported values for certain options and the solution _does_ match
> the compiler capabilities because the values come from the particular
> compiler itself.

Thanks. I will look at the parser next weekend.

The fact still is that "fpc -h" + a parser in Lazarus requires the
least amount of maintenance in the long run.
The help output already listed the vast majority of all options. Most
new options will be added there, too, even if some were forgotten.
This is the same discussion we already had with Dmitry and Mattias.
The external file needs maintenance for all FPC options for the eternal future.

Still, it is bad that duplicate work for the options GUI was done,
considering our limited resources.
Unfortunately Dmitry proposed his system when I had already
implemented the parser and GUI in Lazarus trunk and was fixing the
remaining bugs.
It was discussed a couple of months before that in our mailing list.
Is there any way to make a hybrid solution? The linker options indeed
would bring extra value to it. But, we can discuss it in Lazarus list
if needed.

Juha