[fpc-devel] https support; call for testers

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri May 2 08:47:02 CEST 2014

On Thu, 1 May 2014, Tomas Hajny wrote:

>> I had thought about this. In general, I try to take care of this concern,
>> since it is my concern as well.
>
> What do you mean that you try to take care? Will you try to re-align
> the two and e.g. send the latest improvements to Lukas Gebauer? I'm
> ready to test proper working of my OS/2 support related changes added
> earlier to Synapse once they get merged to the FPC tree. ;-)

I merged the synapse version to the FPC tree; that took some work.
The FPC tree differs meanwhile too much, it would break existing
code if we just copied over the file.

>> But do not forget that synapse is also meant to be compileable with Delphi.
>> That complicates matters somewhat.
>
> Yes, it does to certain level. However, it isn't so bad in my point
> of view:
>
> 1) I believe that Lukas would happily take care about maintaining
> compatibility of provided changes to other compilers.
>
> 2) I don't see a big issue with keeping support for other compilers
> inside a unit within the FPC tree as long as this part is maintained
> by someone else.
>
> 3) I believe that it shouldn't be difficult to avoid using constructs
> absolutely specific to FPC in a unit which was primarily meant as
> means for accessing and using OpenSSL library functionality.

Yes, if you start from scratch: absolutely agreed.
It is too late for this, and that is why I didn't copy over.

>> As a side note:
>> I'm not really surprised to hear about the heartbleed bug: even C programmers
>> should get scared looking at the code. I was therefor glad to hear that the
>> BSD team started on a rewrite (libreSSL). Maybe it will result in cleaner code.
>
> Maybe. Or it is wishful thinking. ;-)

Well: first reports are good, so there is hope.

And hope dies last...

Michael.