[fpc-devel] Encoded AnsiString

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Jan 7 13:17:18 CET 2014

On 01/07/2014 01:05 PM, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> This is a mistake. You should use TByteArray for that. "Old"
> pre-unicode Delphi also handles this type.

Of course I do know that this sometimes is recommended, but (with
pre-Unicode Delphi) I don't see any point in not using "String", which
is a lot more handy providing easy to use concatenation, search
operation, etc.

With a new string type this would come for free, as it requires the same
behavior as the "locale based 1 Byte ANSI String" encoding variant,
which is necessary to be supported anyway.

Thus, IMHO, a discussion about TByteArray is pointless

-Michael