[fpc-devel] Encoded AnsiString
mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Jan 7 11:15:57 CET 2014
On 01/07/2014 10:41 AM, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> We know this. But that is stage 2.
Sounds great !
Could you elaborate those plans ?
I fear that releasing "stage 1" to the public might introduce another
source of incompatibility.
Explanation: My horror-scenario when trying to convince my colleagues to
port their (huge) "embedded" Delphi application to Lazarus:
- They had it nicely working in pre-Unicode Delphi. It would be
possible to port it to pre-Unicode Lazarus with decent effort.
- It took them a huge effort to port it to Unicode enabled Delphi
(including managing the glitches of multiple Delphi versions).
- Current Unicode aware (UTF-8 enabled) Lazarus is compatible to
neither of pre-Unicode Delphi nor to Unicode-aware Delphi, Hence using
it for porting is out of question.
- "just Delphi XE compatible" "Stage 1" might be a valid target, in
case Lazarus is done appropriately. but I supposedly would recommend
waiting for "Stage 2" as some of the porting effort might be done in
vain regarding the goodies "Stage 2" promises. (Not regarding additional
issues that might come up when migrating from "Stage 1" to "State 2".)
- of course "Stage 2" would be most appropriate, but only if Lazarus
(I suppose at that time the "natural" target arch will be ARM 64 :-) )
More information about the fpc-devel