[fpc-devel] Lazarus on Odroid

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Fri Feb 21 09:39:56 CET 2014

Good news from Jy V

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: fpcup first native build working
Date: 	Thu, 20 Feb 2014 16:49:55 +0100
From: 	Jy V <jyv110 at gmail.com>
To: 	Reinier Olislagers <reinierolislagers at gmail.com>, Michel Catudal
<mcatudal at comcast.net>, Michael Schnell <mschnell at lumino.de>, Khk
<karlheinz.kraft at powersoft-kerken.de>, Henry Vermaak
<henry.vermaak at gmail.com>, Thomas Schatzl <tom_at_work at gmx.at>, Dennis
Poon <dennis at avidsoft.com.hk>, Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org>

Reinier, and to all of you who have received an Odroid device,

just a quick note to announce that I have been able to compile on the
Odroid the XMLRAD demo project Ultima,
it is over 100KLOC leveraging low level native APIs, it is a fully
functionnal embedded web application server stack,
the whole toolchain FPC+Lazarus source tree has been compiled using
FPCUP for Odroid provided by Reinier,
it tooks 30 minutes or so to build the development environment
automatically (FPC+Lazarus),
then it took me less than 2 hours to port the demo project Ultima to
compile properly on Odroid U3,

I can now safely recommend FPCUP which provides the easiest migration
path for those willing to port on Linux ARM existing freepascal program,
no need anylonger the impossible cross compile strategy,
now the debugging is performed directly on the device, this is a big
advance,
the demo program is able to run almost properly (it is big step from
running the Windows EXE compiled with Delphi to run on Linux using Wine
for x86 without being able to debug),
it took me less than 4 hours to debug the few issues I faced,
I updated accordingly the few modifications required to the XMLRAD repo
at sourceforge,

please keep the FPC community updated as you are making progress on
porting your existing program to Odroid using FPCUP,
being able to deploy web application server appliances into the wild for
less than $100 is a real opportunity,

Kind regards, Jerome.