[fpc-devel] Issue 0025028 (Florian)

Flávio Etrusco flavio.etrusco at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 02:58:35 CET 2014

Just a few points, since nobody replied yet ;-)

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 5:55 PM, Thaddy <thaddy at thaddy.com> wrote:
> This is marked as won't fix.
> I do not fully understand that.
>
> In Delphi, an interface is given a guid internally whatsoever it is
> declared.

Are you sure about that? I remember different for Delphi 7.

> In FPC, this mechanism is also in place.
>
> I refer:
>
> IWhatEverInterface = type IInterface;  // which has a guid.. and type
> inference works correctly

But this doesn't generate a new GUID (if you create an object that
implements only IInterface, testing "is IWhatEverInterface" returns
true).

> I am a known - but well meaning - idiot, but can you please explain why you
> closed this as "won't fix" as the issue seems to be completely fixable and
> reasonable.
>
> Regards,
>
> Thaddy,

If Delphi indeed behaves like that then maybe it's valid RFE for Delphi mode.
OTOH automatically generating a GUID defeats a few features of having
a stable GUID. And even if fpc could avoid modifying the GUID on every
modification inside the unit by reading the PPU (which I don't believe
it does), deleting the PPU would modify it. And then there's the added
(little?) overhead, and the cases where you really don't want to allow
IS and AS, and probably other technical implications I'm not aware ;-)

Best regards,
Flávio