[fpc-devel] One fpc.cfg per fpc version

Ewald ewald at yellowcouch.org
Mon Feb 17 21:46:01 CET 2014

On 17 Feb 2014, at 10:34, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 00:02:11 +0100
> Ewald <ewald at yellowcouch.org> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> I'm not sure if that is really what you need, but I think this is the most
>> flexible/straightforward method of `running one fpc.cfg per fpc version`.
>
> It is the most flexible, I agree with that.
>
> Most straightforward:
> Without the '..' it could be more straightforward, because you would
> not need the -n @.

Well, I meant `straightforward` more with respect to usage, not with respect to the actual magick involved. This approach allows me to run any fpc version by simply running fpc-<rev. number> on the command line. In that respect I think it is straightforward.

OTOH the involved switches seem to be a bit more exotic (as the 2.6.2 release does not even mention @, -Xp or -V in `fpc -help`) and this is indeed not so straightforward. Nonetheless, they are there and thus could be used.

As to answer another question you had: No, I don't use this approach because it's the only one I know, I use it because it suits my purposes best. I looked into several other ways of running multiple freepascal compilers on my machine (almost all of which have been stated by others) and this was simply the one that required the least effort and gave me exactly what I wanted.

> My point is:
> The current search <dir>../etc/fpc.cfg does not work with the
> current defaults of "make install". The following would be better:
>
> <dir>/etc/fpc.cfg
> or /etc/fpc-<version>/fpc.cfg
> or /etc/fpc.d/<version>.cfg

This last one would introduce problems though, since all trunk version are currently version 2.7.1. Substituting <version> for a revision number would be possible, but it would make a terrible mess of your /etc directory IMHO.

--
Ewald