[fpc-devel] One fpc.cfg per fpc version

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Mon Feb 17 15:45:39 CET 2014

On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 15:10:03 +0100 (CET)
Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Feb 2014, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
>[...]
> > Is there already a doc about how to install multiple versions of fpc?
>
> No, because
> a) There are so many ways to do it
> b) There are so many platforms.
> I prefer to document the possibilities and let the user figure out for himself what works best.

That's definitely a good thing.

The next step would be to create an example. I guess a common setup is
the latest release and trunk.

Let's say I start such a page.

Then I would explain the two common setups

The clean approach:
1.1. read Michael's docs
1.2. install the latest released compiler
1.3. download the trunk sources, compile it
1.4. "make install INSTALL_PREFIX=~/fpc/2.7.1"
1.5. setup a fpc.cfg (~/fpc/2.7.1/lib/etc/fpc.cfg), add
-FD~/fpc/2.7.1/bin and adapt the -Fu lines.

Then you can select the 2.6.2 via /usr/bin/fpc or the 2.7.1 via
~/fpc/2.7.1/lib/2.7.1/ppcx86.

The shared approach:
1.1. read Michael's docs
1.2. install the latest released compiler
1.3. download the trunk sources, compile it
1.4. "make install INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr"

Then you can select the 2.6.2 via /usr/lib/fpc/2.6.2/ppcx86 or
the 2.7.1 via /usr/lib/fpc/2.7.1/ppcx86.

Beware that you now use the 2.7.1 tools (e.g. /usr/bin/fpcres). There
are some corner cases where this does not work. Then you need the clean
approach.

> I do think we can certainly make the default behaviour more 'version aware' by installing
> a config file that already implements one of the different schemes.
>
> That said, I am still not convinced of the need for this, I work since many years with a single pretty standard config file, which I've never had to edit.

I use the standard config file since many years as well.

Mattias