[fpc-devel] One fpc.cfg per fpc version

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Mon Feb 17 14:14:03 CET 2014

On Mon, February 17, 2014 13:24, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

 .
 .
>> > I'm investigating what Lazarus needs to support to switch fpc versions
>> > more easily. That's why I'm collecting all the possibilities how
>> people
>> > install multiple versions of fpc. I'm puzzled of the amount of
>> different
>> > approaches - I thought two were enough. I wonder if some of them
>> exists
>> > only because the user did not know the alternatives.
 .
 .

I guess that it's at least partly also due to different needs and
preferences of different people. If I use one FPC version most of the time
and only want to keep older versions for occassional regression testing, I
do not need any sofisticated solution. Moreover, different fpc.cfg
versions are not necessarily wanted in this case, because different
parameters would make comparing the behaviour among FPC versions more
difficult.

> For Lazarus switching should work without invoking a script or
> changing a file. Only environment variables and parameters.

Still, my open question is: what are the drivers for needing to support (=
having to maintain) different fpc.cfg files for different FPC versions?
Moreover - if people use different approaches and want to have different
versions and different locations (differing per distribution, user
preferences, etc.), can't you simply let them to choose their preferred
approach in Lazarus explicitly (either using single fpc.cfg for
everything, or having version specific files configured explicitly by the
user when setting path to his FPC installations)?

Tomas