[fpc-devel] One fpc.cfg per fpc version

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sun Feb 16 19:46:01 CET 2014

In our previous episode, Mattias Gaertner said:
> > I played with this in 1.9.2 times iirc.
> >
> > IIRC the principle was developed for cases where every version installed
> > into a prefix with make INSTALL INSTALL_PREFIX=~/somethingversion.  (so that
> > you also had multiple bin directories and everything was fully separated).
>
> Yes, for example make install INSTALL_PREFIX=~/2.6.2 installs to
> ~/2.6.2/lib/fpc/2.6.2
> Which looks odd.

For that it does. If you however install FPC in /usr/local (like the ports
dir) it make sense. Binaries end up in $PREFIX/bin, config in $PREFIX/etc
and rest in $PREFIX/lib. relative to the bin, etc is at ../etc.

(and *BSDs have etc dirs in other prefixes too, distributing the config
files, /etc mostly contained config files from the base distro)

I don't think it was ever meant for distribution conforming installs, since
they don't carter for multiversion systems.

> Maybe fpc should search for <dir of ppcxxx>/fpc.cfg.

Unix doesn't mix configs and binaries, so this IMHO is strange. Configs go
into etc dirs, not bin dirs.

Maybe the solution should be simply to pass params for the LIB dir to omit
the version number, and then use the toplevel version number.