[fpc-devel] Multithreading under DOS

Nikolay Nikolov nickysn at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Sep 26 22:54:50 CEST 2013

On 09/26/2013 11:33 PM, Tomas Hajny wrote:
> On Thu, September 26, 2013 21:03, Nikolay Nikolov wrote:
> How much does the 386 CPU with 2 MB of appropriate RAM cost today? How
> much power and cooling does it need? How much reliable would be the HW
> compared to more up to date alternatives (let's say ARM or MIPS with 512
> MB RAM and an SSD running Linux)?
>
> Anyway, as I mentioned - I can imagine that it may be fun (similarly to my
> attempts to keep and improve the OS/2 support which is also used very
> rarely by others at best ;-) ), I just wanted to understand if there was
> any idea how it would be used in reality.
Well, if you go into details, there's not much use in using DOS at all,
even without multithreading and multitasking. I'm using it for the fun
factor mostly.
>>> My first notebook had 4 MB RAM, and Win3.1 and Word 1.0 worked very
>>> well on it :-)
>> Yes, but windows 3.1 is a DOS extender :)
> Yes. Moreover, an extender not featuring multi-threading and even the
> multitasking wasn't preemptive if I remember correctly.
Actually, in 386 enhanced mode the multitasking was preemptive for DOS
applications, but Win16 applications used cooperative multitasking. But
Microsoft later made a DOS extender that supported full preemptive
multitasking and multithreading. They called it Windows 95 :)

Nikolay