[fpc-devel] Multithreading under DOS

Bernd Oppolzer bernd.oppolzer at t-online.de
Thu Sep 26 11:40:12 CEST 2013

Am 26.09.2013 11:07, schrieb Tomas Hajny:
>> Here the old style ("light weight" / "internal" multi-thread enabled)
>> pthread lib might help. Supposedly same does not need to be "installed"
>> but could be statically linked to.
> You can run another operating system on top of DOS (that's basically what
> DOS extenders did), but you still need to find the solution first (and the
> solution is not the "POSIX threads library", but the "extender").
>
> Tomas

I believe that DOS from its design is so limited that the only
solution is what OS/2 did: isolate every DOS session and
give it an own - single threaded - copy of a virtual machine,
where DOS can run the old DOS applications.

The POSIX threads should be moved to or implemented on
"real" operating systems.