[fpc-devel] cpstrrtl/unicode branch merged to trunk

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Sep 10 10:20:05 CEST 2013

On 09/10/2013 02:25 AM, wkitty42 at windstream.net wrote:
> speaking of conversions, i would also like to see where UTF8 and similar strings can convert to (eg) CP437 where UTF characters like the trademark symbol are converted to their CP437 four character equivalent (eg) "(tm)"... registered and copyright symbols are similar... there are other sequences that can also be transliterated to multiple CP437 characters (eg) ae but these are language specific apparently...

My dream is that the compiler magic - when implemented in a way that
supports auto-conversion for a fully dynamically encoded string type,
additionally allows for arbitrary user-defined Strings type IDs (as well
statically defined when creating the variable, when found in the
encoding id field of a fully dynamically encoded variable). When seeing
some of those, user-provided functions should be called instead of the
(or by the) normal library call to allow for a user program implement
it's own handling of propriety encoding schemes.

Obviously in many cases theses encoding schemes will be based on
commonly used ones and the user functions will call library function on
the way. Your "(tm)" example and "html entities" could nicely be handled
in such a way without the fpc team needing to bother.

-Michael