[fpc-devel] cpstrrtl/unicode branch merged to trunk

wkitty42 at windstream.net wkitty42 at windstream.net
Tue Sep 10 02:25:48 CEST 2013

On Monday, September 9, 2013 8:41 AM, Michael Schnell <mschnell at lumino.de> wrote:
> I feel like throwing up when I am supposed to use the Term ANSIString
> for things potentially being encoded as UTF-8,  UTF-16 or such, which
> for me is the contrary of "ANSI".

i agree... ANSIstrings should be ANSI only... UTF8string and UTF16string should be available and used where necessary, IMHO... this would seemingly allow for better control as well as string conversion where necessary...

speaking of conversions, i would also like to see where UTF8 and similar strings can convert to (eg) CP437 where UTF characters like the trademark symbol are converted to their CP437 four character equivalent (eg) "(tm)"... registered and copyright symbols are similar... there are other sequences that can also be transliterated to multiple CP437 characters (eg) ae but these are language specific apparently...