[fpc-devel] cpstrrtl/unicode branch merged to trunk

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Fri Sep 6 15:01:21 CEST 2013

On 09/06/2013 01:54 PM, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> I'm not sure how efficient a RawByteString version ever can be. By
> default it has to convert the string into Unicode (Delphi: UTF-16),
> and the result back to CP_ACP. In these cases it looks more efficient
> to call the Unicode version immediately, and leave *eventual* further
> conversions to the compiler. Some routines may implement common
> processing of true SBCS, but I'm not sure how many these are.

Of course I need to jump in here ...

While I don't exactly know what you are up to, you might want to read
some recent posts of mine where I pointed out that using a fully
dynamically encoding auto-converting String type (which does not seem to
exist in Delphi) for Objects (and other things) that should not
predefine a certain encoding in their interface (making the thingy
useful for other Strings while avoiding unnecessary (auto-) conversion)
will not impose any noticeable performance degradation, provided some
appropriate compiler magic is implemented.

Of course I might be wrong with this analysis, but I _did_ some decent
thinking on that.

-Michael