[fpc-devel] Re. z370 Cross Compilation, Pass 2 of ....

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Tue Sep 3 09:54:25 CEST 2013

Tomas Hajny wrote:
> On Mon, September 2, 2013 10:37, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>> Bernd Oppolzer wrote:
>>> Am 01.09.2013 21:42, schrieb Mark Morgan Lloyd:
>  .
>  .
>> I notice that Paul has added updates to
>> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/ZSeries over the last week or so but
>> haven't had time to read them in detail yet.
>
> Looking at Paul's articles in Wiki, I've noticed that he has used 2.6.0 or
> 2.6.2 as his basis. This doesn't look like a good idea to me, because new
> platforms are always added in trunk and thus the modifications will need
> to be updated when merging them to trunk. Moreover, I believe that the
> latest additions related to UnicodeString support, etc., may be especially
> useful to z370 when tackling the EBCDIC versus ASCII challenge. Just my 2
> cents...

On the other hand, since he was in the position of trying to work out
how everything hung together without feeling that he was already "an
insider" I think that he might be forgiven for working on a stable
version. This is, after all, how the MIPS target was implemented (it's
regrettable that it wasn't folded back into the trunk a bit more
promptly, which might have saved work).

I've just been reading through his recent additions to the wiki and I
note that he recognises that (comparatively) recent additions to the
architecture might be useful. If he's actually making progress on this
it would be very interesting to have a status report.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk