[fpc-devel] FPC Darwin/Linux Installations

Andrew Brunner atbrunner at aurawin.com
Tue Nov 26 17:52:39 CET 2013

I wanted to see if it is possible to put in a feature request to modify
the present installation of FPC to include the actual binary "fpc"
program into the directory where ppc386, ppcppc, and ppcx64 binaries.

Presently, under linux I am able to use symbolic links to make my system
point to 32bit or 64bit compiler ../lib/fpc/2.6.2/ppc386
../lib/fpc/2.6.2/ppcx64.  I've been doing this for a long time with no
problems.

Recently, I was instructed by Jonas that "fpc" was more than ppcx64 or
ppc386 and it proved problematic for me to use a link to the desired
compiler to "swap" versions.

I have a "reset-fpc.sh" script that replaces symbolic links to fpc,
ppc386 and ppcx64.  But now that I know fpc binary needs to be
"restored" instead of point to.  So, I realize that there is no "fpc"
binary copy placed into the library folder.  Which leads me to proposing
that it should be.

I wonder what actually builds "fpc" binary and included (fp*) tools
presently shipped...

And if "fpc" binary is different than ppcx64 than why do I have no build
problems on my Linux box but am unable to build fpc on a darwin box?

Thanks for any input,

Andrew Brunner