[fpc-devel] Comparison FPC 2.6.2 - Delphi 7

Ivanko B ivankob4mse2 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 17:33:40 CET 2013

make -j has a dramatic effect on an SMP system, particularly if it can
find groups of jobs without too much interdependence.
The benchamark was surprising. Diring it, me observed 80..95% load of
each CPU still having high I/O load on the RAID1. How can it be ?!
Which were the CPUs engaged for ?
Me guess because of the design flaw of Core-I* arch where proper
(disk/network- to-from-RAM leaving CPUs idle from I/O) DMA transfers
are impossible since the RAM can only be accessed via CPUs so CPUs has
to serve each smallest I/O operation. Really very strange.
The kernel is customized, sure :)