[fpc-devel] Delphi anonymous methods

Frank Church vfclists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 01:54:17 CET 2013

I have observed a lot of Delphi developers who have written code that
needs or depends on the features like anonymous methods, generics,
RTTI give up porting to FPC because it proved too difficult, but then
it turns out those libraries could greatly enhance FPC usage.

So I think this bullet must be bitten once to enable those libraries
to be ported over, by FPC achieving parity or syntax compatibility in
that area. Once that is done the FPC development team should make it
clear where they don't agree with Embarcadero's approach, so
developers who want to port to FPC don't depend on any funny stuff
Embarcadero might concoct in the future.

It may even turn out that in the future Delphi will be the one that
has to follow FPCs lead or accommodate it, if this issue is
successfully resolved, just as Microsoft has had to accommodate Linux.

The more developers can accomplish with FPC and Linux the less
relevant the restrictive and proprietary Windows and Mac environments
become and that is what FPC devs should keep in sight.

--
Frank Church