[fpc-devel] Delphi anonymous methods

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Mar 5 09:31:43 CET 2013

On Tue, 5 Mar 2013, Paul Ishenin wrote:

> 05.03.13, 15:57, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>> With such an attitude you should remove objfpc (and perhaps all
>> non-delphi modes) alltogether, and rename Free Pascal to Free Delphi.
>
> The situation with FPC and Delphi is very like to what had happened with
> browsers. Every had it own vision of CSS, JS and HTML. Currently then finally
> understood that these dirrences are bad.

You piched a wrong comparison. They are still different in all browsers.
Each browser has its own extensions of these "standards" as any web developer will tell you.
There is some common ground (and even this is sometimes interpreted differently),
but that is it.

> So if I could I would organaize some forum between Delphi and FPC developers
> where all new features before been implemented had been discussed first and
> if accepted nobody could implement it different. I tried to contact with some
> delphi team members on their forum on twitter and on some blogs but without
> result.

I do not believe they will ever do this. Why would they want to ?
They (think that they) rule the Pascal community.
They do not care a fig for Lazarus/FPC.

And that is why we have objfpc mode.

Delphi mode is 'Object pascal according to Embarcadero'

ObjFPC mode is 'Object Pascal according to Free Pascal'

There is nothing wrong with having ObjFPC mode, and the bigger the differences are, the better.

The only thing it costs you is some extra cases in parsing, so no maintenance whatsoever.
The rest of the compiler remains the same, as the functionality is equal.

Michael.