[fpc-devel] Comparison FPC 2.6.2 - Delphi 7

Henry Vermaak henry.vermaak at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 18:02:51 CET 2013

On Mon, Mar 04, 2013 at 11:19:38AM +0100, Marco van de Voort wrote:
> In our previous episode, Henry Vermaak said:
> > > Manually maintaining dependencies between compilation units is stone-age.
> >
> > I just add all the objects to a variable in a Makefile.
> >
> > The result is that I have a 27000 line c library that compiles in *half*
> > the time it takes to compile a 4000 line lazarus program because my c
> > lib can be built with make -j 9.
>
> I'm not exactly sure what this proves. The C situation is not equivalent to
> the Pascal situation, the latter trying to make sure all (Pascal level
> symbols) are there before the linker.

What I'm trying to say is that gcc is going 3 times faster on my quad
core machine because of the build system, not because they've turned
their compiler into a multi-threaded clusterfsck.  In my ignorance, I'm
assuming that the same can't be achieved with pascal, then (without
making the compiler itself multi-threaded)?

Henry