[fpc-devel] Re: Comparison FPC 2.6.2 - Kylix 3

luiz americo pereira camara luizmed at oi.com.br
Mon Mar 4 16:57:01 CET 2013

2013/3/4 Martin Schreiber <mse00000 at gmail.com>:
> On Monday 04 March 2013 00:29:51 Vittorio Giovara wrote:
>
>> Could be interesting to see the speed and size of the binary produced
>> by the two compilers, slower compilation time over faster or smaller
>> code is something I would pick any time!
>>
> Please note that Delphi/Kylix produce both smaller and faster code than FPC in
> the testcase, they do full optimisation by default. Quality of the produced
> code is another goal of the comparisons.

While the discussion is geared mostly towards compilation speed (it
was already pointed why is slower than delphi and why cannot be
improved easily improved), i'd like to point the produced code
quality.

Is the bigger code just a side effect of a cross platform RTL or the
generated code is really bigger / slower?

If the generated code is not optimal yet, the devs already know the
areas that can be improved?

Personally, i don't care much about compilation speed since is faster
enough (at least for me). I'm more interested in better generated
code. This is were i'd like to see the efforts going.

Luiz